| Aloha Hawaii Republicans,
A few weeks ago I suggested “we all hold on to our seat belts” for the ride that was about to begin with the start of the “FIRST 100 DAYS” of the Trump Administration. I now want to revise that comment and metaphor, it is not a seat belt we need to hold onto because there has been so much activity and push back that it is more likely that “we hold on to the saddle horn” while riding a bronco. The lurches forward by the President and the pull back by the press have been unprecedented in American political history. What follows then is a summary of the President’s first 3 weeks in office, followed by a few updates from the Hawaii the State Capitol, and Kapiolani Blvd.
WASHINGTON D.C. UPDATES:
FIRST 100 DAYS COUNTDOWN: 70 Days to Go
A REVIEW OF THE PRESIDENT’S FIRST THREE WEEKS:
- DAY 1:President Trump Issued a Presidential Memorandum Ordering A “Regulatory Freeze.” ……allows for emergency situations only, otherwise, no regulation will be sent to the Office of the Federal Register until a department or agency head appointed or designated by the President after noon on January 20, 2017, reviews and approves the regulation.” (“Memorandum For The Heads Of Executive Departments And Agencies,” The White House ,
- DAY 1:President Trump also Issued an Executive Order “Minimizing The Economic Burden” Of Obamacare. “In the meantime, pending such repeal, it is imperative for the executive branch to ensure that the law is being efficiently implemented, take all actions consistent with law to minimize the unwarranted economic and regulatory burdens of the Act, and prepare to afford the States more flexibility and control to create a more free and open healthcare market.” (“Executive Order Minimizing The Economic Burden Of The Patient Protection And Affordable Care Act Pending Repeal, 1/20/17)
IN HIS FIRST WEEK, the President’s actions stressed growth of the economy, creation of jobs, infrastructure, protection from Obamacare and strengthening of national security. For example:
- He announced “The Manufacturing Jobs Initiative” which allows some of the world’s most successful business leaders to share their experiences on how to bring manufacturing back to American.
- He announced the “Withdrawal of The United States From The Trans-Pacific Partnership Negotiations And Agreement.”
- He issued A Presidential Memorandum Ordering The Use Of American-Made Raw Materials And Equipment To Build Pipelines Located In The U.S.”
- He issued a Presidential Memorandum Freezing Federal Hiring Except For Positions Related To “National Security Or Public Safety
- He issued An Executive Order “Expediting Environmental Reviews And Approvals For High Priority Infrastructure Projects including the U.S. electric grid and telecommunications systems and repairing and upgrading critical port facilities, airports, pipelines, bridges, and highways.”
- Issued A Presidential Memorandum Expediting The Building Of The Dakota Access Pipeline and a Memorandum Encouraging The Construction Of The Long-Delayed Keystone XL Pipeline. “I hereby invite TransCanada Keystone Pipeline, L.P. (TransCanada), to promptly re-submit its application to the Department of State for a Presidential permit for the construction and operation of the Keystone XL Pipeline, a major pipeline for the importation of petroleum from Canada to the United States.” (“Presidential Memorandum Regarding Construction Of The Keystone XL Pipeline,” The White House , 1/24/17)
- Issued An Executive Order “Enhancing Public Safety In The Interior Of The United States.” “The purpose of this order is to direct executive departments and agencies (agencies) to employ all lawful means to enforce the immigration laws of the United States.”(“Executive Order: Enhancing Public Safety In The Interior Of The United States,” The White House , 1/25/17)
- Issued An Executive Order Improving “Border Security And Immigration Enforcement.” “The purpose of this order is to direct executive departments and agencies (agencies) to deploy all lawful means to secure the Nation’s southern border, to prevent further illegal immigration into the United States, and to repatriate illegal aliens swiftly, consistently, and humanely.” (“Executive Order: Border Security And Immigration Enforcement Improvements,” The White House , 1/25/17)
- Issued An Executive Order “Protecting The Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry Into The United States.” “It is the policy of the United States to protect its citizens from foreign nationals who intend to commit terrorist attacks in the United States; and to prevent the admission of foreign nationals who intend to exploit United States immigration laws for malevolent purposes.” (“Executive Order: Protecting The Nation From Foreign Terrorist Entry Into The United States,” The White House , 1/27/17)
- Issued A Presidential Memorandum Mandating A “Rebuilding Of The U.S. Armed Forces.”
- Hosted His First Foreign Head Of State, UK’s Prime Minister Teresa May
- Spoke With Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto And “Discussed Respect For The Sovereignty Of Both Nations.”
- Spoke With Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau About “The Importance Of Strong U.S.-Canada Ties
- Spoke With Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu “To Discuss Opportunities To Strengthen Relations.”
- Spoke With Egyptian President Al-Sissi And “Express[Ed] Commitment For A New Push In Bilateral Relations.”
- Spoke With Indian Prime Minister Modi “To Strengthen Relations And Cooperation”
- Issued A Presidential Memorandum Reinstating The “Mexico City (Pro Life) Policy” “I hereby revoke the Presidential Memorandum of January 23, 2009.” The White House , 1/23/17)
IN HIS SECOND WEEK, the President announced his Supreme Court pick, took action to combat terrorism, and worked to reduce burdensome regulations.
- President Trump Nominated Judge Neil Gorsuch To Be the Next Associate Justice of The United States Supreme Court. “President Trump’s Nominee for the Supreme Court Neil M. Gorsuch” (Press Release, “President Trump’s Nominee For The Supreme Court Neil M. Gorsuch,” The White House , 1/31/17)
- Issued A Presidential Memorandum Requiring The Development Of A Plan To Defeat The Islamic State Of Iraq And Syria. “For those reasons I am directing my Administration to develop a comprehensive plan to defeat ISIS.” (“Presidential Memorandum Plan To Defeat The Islamic State Of Iraq And Syria,” The White House , 1/28/17)
- Issued A Presidential Memorandum Organizing The National Security Council And The Homeland Security Council. “In order to advise and assist me in executing this solemn responsibility, as well as to protect and advance the national interests of the United States at home and abroad….”
- Sanctioned 25 Individuals And Entities That Provide Support To Iran’s Ballistic Missile Program And The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ Quds Force.
- Spoke With Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Of Japan And Pledged To “Consult And Cooperate On The Threat Posed By North Korea
- Spoke With French President Francois Hollande About Strengthening U.S.-French Cooperation On A “Range Of Issues, Especially On Counterterrorism And Security”
- Spoke With Russian President Vladimir Putin About Topics Such As “Mutual Cooperation In Defeating ISIS To Efforts In Working Together To Achieve More Peace Throughout The World Including Syria
- Spoke With King Saud Of Saudi Arabia And Discussed “Creating Safe Zones In Syria And Yemen To Help Refugees And Strict Enforcement Of The Joint Comprehensive Plan Of Action On Iran.”
- Spoke With Crown Prince Zayid Al Nuhayyan Of The United Arab Emirates To “Reaffirm The Strong Partnership Between Both Countries And Combating Radical Islamic Terrorism”
- Spoke With Acting President Hwang Kyo-Ahn Of South Korea To Discuss “Their Mutual Alliance And Defending Against North Korea.”
- Spoke With King Abdullah II Of Jordan “Where He Conveyed The United States’ Commitment To Jordan’s Stability And Defeating ISIS.”
- Met With African-American Community Leaders “To Honor Their Contribution And Listen To Their Input On What Can Be Done To Improve The Lives Of All Americans
- Met With Small Business Owners “To Get Input On How To Spur Job Creation And Help Businesses Like Theirs Succeed.”
- Met With Union Leaders To “Encourage American Manufacturing” by meeting with the executives of Harley-Davidson and union representatives to encourage American manufacturing.”
- Met With The Pharmaceutical Industry To Discuss Ways To Bring “Jobs Back To America” And Reduce The Cost Of Healthcare.
- Met With His Economic Advisory Council To “Discuss Ways To Deliver Jobs To All Americans
- Met With Cybersecurity Experts To Help Fulfill His Campaign Promise Of Securing America Against Cyber Threats.
- Issued An Executive Order “Reducing Regulation And Controlling Regulatory Costs” By Requiring That For Every One New Regulation Issued Two Must Be Repealed. “Toward that end, it is important that for every one new regulation issued, at least two prior regulations be identified for elimination, and that the cost of planned regulations be prudently managed and controlled through a budgeting process.” (“Presidential Executive Order On Reducing Regulation And Controlling Regulatory Costs,” The White House , 1/30/17)
- Issued An Executive Order Creating “Core Principles For Regulating The United States Financial System.”
- Issued A Presidential Memorandum Requiring The Reexamination Of The Obama Administration’s Fiduciary Rule. “You are directed to examine the Fiduciary Duty Rule to determine whether it may adversely affect the ability of Americans to gain access to retirement information and financial advice.” (“Presidential Memorandum On Fiduciary Duty Rule,”The White House , 2/3/17)
- Issued An Executive Order Requiring “Ethics Commitments” From Executive Branch Appointees. “Every appointee in every executive agency appointed on or after January 20, 2017, shall sign, and upon signing shall be contractually committed to, the following pledge upon becoming an appointee.”
- Signed Into Law A Bill Giving The Government Accountability Office Tools To Improve Responsiveness And Efficiency . “President Trump signed into law the “GAO Access And Oversight Act Of 2017″ (H.R.72) allowing the Government Accountability Office to gather records from all federal agencies so it can be more responsive to civil action.” (“President Trump’s Second Week Of Action,” The White House , 2/4/17)
IN HIS THIRD WEEK, President Trump took action to support America’s law enforcement officers and promotion of job creation.
- Delivered A Speech To Members Of Law Enforcement, Reaffirming His Commitment To “Stand With” And Support The Men And Women Who Wear Blue And Pledged That “You Have A True, True Friend In The White House.” PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP: “So I’d like to begin my remarks with a declaration issued to all of you, and delivered to every member of the law enforcement community all across the United States. My message today is that you have a true, true friend in the White House. You have. I stand with you. I support our police. I support our sheriffs. And we support the men and women of law enforcement.” (President Donald Trump, Remarks At MCCA Winter Conference , Washington, DC, 2/8/17)
- Issued An Executive Order Directing The Department Of Justice To Establish A “Task Force On Crime Reduction And Public Safety”
- Issued An Executive Order To “Enforce All Federal Laws In Order To Enhance The Protection And Safety Of Federal, State, Tribal, And Local Law Enforcement Officers, And Thereby All Americans.”
- Issued An Executive Order To “Strengthen Enforcement Of Federal Law In Order To Thwart Transnational Criminal Organizations And Subsidiary Organizations.” “It shall be the policy of the executive branch to: strengthen enforcement of Federal law in order to thwart transnational criminal organizations and subsidiary organizations, including criminal gangs, cartels, racketeering organizations, and other groups engaged in illicit activities.”
- Hosted The CEO Of Intel, Who Announced Plans To Build A New Factory That Will Provide “3,000 Direct High-Paying, High-Wage, High-Tech Jobs” “And Over 10,000 Jobs” For Support Staff. INTEL CEO BRIAN KRZANICH: “It’s an honor to be here today representing Intel and to be able to announce our $7 billion investment in our newest, most advanced factory — Fab 42 in Chandler, Arizona. We’ll be completing that factory to make the most advanced 7-nanometer semiconductor chips on the planet… And Fab 42 is an investment in Intel, but also the U.S.’s future in innovation and leadership in the semiconductor industry. Fab 42 will employ approximately 3,000 direct high-paying, high-wage, high-tech jobs at its peak, and over 10,000 people in the Arizona area in support of the factory.” (Brian Krzanich, Remarks By President Trump And Intel CEO Brian Krzanich On U.S. Jobs , Washington, DC, 2/8/17)
- Spoke With Italian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni About “Bilateral Cooperation Across A Range Of Shared Interests.”
- Spoke With Ukrainian Prime Minister Paolo Gentiloni About “Ukraine’s Long-Running Conflict With Russia.”
- Spoke With New Zealand Prime Minister Bill English About “Regional Issues, Including Challenges To Regional Peace And Security.”
- Spoke With NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg About Ways “To Encourage All NATO Allies To Meet Their Defense Spending Commitments”
- Spoke With Turkish President Erdoğan About Their “Shared Commitment To Combating Terrorism”
- Spoke With Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy Of Spain About “Shared Priorities, Including Efforts To Eliminate ISIS.”
SOME FEEDBACK ON THE PRESIDENT’S FIRST 3 PROLIFIC WEEKS:
- Harvard-Harris Poll: “Americans Want Democrats To Work With Trump” “The survey found that 73 percent of voters want to see Democrats work with the president, against only 27 percent who said Democrats should resist Trump’s every move. The findings are significant as Democratic leaders in Congress are under growing pressure by their liberal base to obstruct the president’s agenda. The poll shows the party is divided on how to deal with Trump: 52 percent of Democrats polled say they should cooperate with him on areas of agreement and 48 percent saying they shouldn’t. (from The Hill)
- Pray, if you will, for President Trump to remain strong and focused in the face of prolonged adversity and opposition, and that he and his family be kept safe.
STATE CAPITOL UPDATE:
2017 LEGISLATIVE SESSION: GOOD NEWS-BAD NEWS:
- On Thursday evening, the LEGALIZATION OF PROSTITUTION BILL died for lack of a hearing.
- The House Republican Caucus is leading the charge in the House against online taxation of internet purchases and has voted twice unanimously on the floor against the so-called “Amazon Bill” that will levy the GET tax on online purchases.A quote heard on the House Floor from my wife: “Keep your hands off my Amazon Prime!”
- The ASSISTED SUICIDE BILL is progressing through committees in the House and Senate and needs a lot of push-back from the medical community, the elderly community, the faith community and the disability community if it is to be stopped.
- Urine Free Zones bill died for lack of a hearing. The bill would have helped those who can’t help themselves
- More on the rail tax and car taxes coming soon.
UPDATE FROM KAPIOLANI BLVD;
- LINCOLN DINNER ANNOUNCEMENT COMING SOON!
- THANKS TO ALL WHO ATTENDED IN THEIR FEBRUARY PRECINCT MEETINGS AND CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL WHO GOT ELECTED OR REELECTED!
Lastly, my fellow Republicans, “ask not what the Republican Party of Hawaii can do for you, ask what you can do for the Hawaii Republican Party.” Please join me in starting to recruit and support candidates for the 2018 elections! I promise to keep this candidate-centric focus throughout my 4-year tenure as your National Committeeman.